Prevent travel trauma! With increased restrictions on travel for carry-on and checked luggage, proper packing has become more important than ever. Whether travelling is in your near or distant future, you’ll want to save these check lists and travel tips
Before You Travel
- If travelling to a foreign area, learn something about the customs, etiquette, culture, economy, and political environment.
- Prepare your travel documentation: passport, birth or citizenship certificate, health insurance, ticket, etc. Make copies of everything for ease of replacement. Canadian passport applications are available at www.ppt.gc.ca.
- If required, get vaccinations, medication, prescriptions, etc.
- Get local currency, traveller’s cheques, etc. Keep cash expenditures to a minimum; rely on credit cards.
- If taking gifts to the destination, lightweight ones will be easier to handle.
- Canadians can check for travel information at www.voyage.gc.ca.
Choose Luggage That Has:
- Soft sides; it is lighter weight than hard and the sides can expand or collapse as required.
- A shaped inner frame, as it is sturdier.
- A telescoping handle that is reinforced (an extra strip of leather at the base of the handle).
- A sturdy lock and stainless steel hardware.
- In-line skate wheels.
- A suit bag (if travelling with suits).
- Waterproof and scratch resistant coating.
- Overall dimensions (total of length, width, and height) that do not exceed 158 cm or 62 inches for checked baggage, and 118 cm or 47 inches for carry-on baggage.
What to Take
- If you are travelling on business, take your business aids!
- Travel documents: airline ticket, birth or citizenship certificate, passport, health card, etc.
- If required: medications, prescriptions, supplements
- Eyewear, sun glasses
- Bathing suit
- Exercise wear
- For a 2 – 3 day trip, take the equivalent of 1 wardrobe module: 1 jacket, 2 bottoms, 3 tops.
- brush / comb
- toothbrush & paste
- dental floss
- breath freshener
- hair conditioner
- facial cleanser
- facial moisturizer
- emery board
- mini-manicure kit
Incorporate these travel tips, and have a good trip!
Karen Brunger, BHEc, AICI CIP, is President of International Image Institute Inc., Chief Stylist of the Style Institute, and Past-President of the Association of Image Consultants International